Leading Australian men’s health charity Movember says our fathers, partners, brothers and mates are facing a health crisis, with men dying too young, long before their time.
There are a range of preventable health issues affecting men. Some salient examples are:
- Around the world, men die on average six years younger than women and for largely preventable reasons.
- Prostate cancer is the most diagnosed cancer in men in Australia. Globally, more than 1.4 million men are diagnosed with prostate cancer each year.
- At greater than 95%, the odds of survival for men with testicular cancer are better than good – but for some men, long-term treatment-related side effects, mean quality of life is severely affected.
- The rate of male suicide is alarmingly high: 3 out of 4 suicides in Australia are by men.
In 2003, two mates having a quiet beer decided to ask 30 guys to grow a moustache in the month of November and raise money for men’s health and prostate cancer. Movember was born.
Now in 2021, Movember is the leading Australian charity changing the face of men’s health, dedicated to stopping men dying too young.
Movember has prompted billions of conversations about men’s health, encouraging men to understand the health risks they face, talk more openly about their health and to take action when necessary.
These conversations have paved the way for ambitious 2030 goals to:
- Halve the number of deaths from prostate cancer and testicular cancer
- Reduce the rate of male suicides by 25%
- Halve the number of men experiencing serious mental and physical side effects from treatment of prostate cancer or testicular cancer.
Five Good Friends CEO Simon Lockyer said we want people to live well at home and this includes our fathers, brothers, partners and sons.
“Men tend to not want to have the conversation about their health. But it is absolutely critical that men feel they can build strong social connections and take action when things aren’t going well.
“Movember goes to the very heart of our DNA – friendship. The power of friendship is believed to contribute to a much better quality of life as we grow older,” he said.
Five Good Friends mission is to help people live vibrant lives in their own homes, connected to the friends, family and communities they love.
“By focusing on the fundamentals – friendship, community, conversations and connection - we aim to ensure that every Five Good Friends member is able to achieve their goals and live the life they desire.”
If you, your family or a loved one could benefit from our assistance, you can engage with us online now. Alternatively, call anytime during business hours on 1300 787 581 to talk to our Care Advice team who will be able to provide support and clarify any of your concerns.