COVID-19 Vaccination Updates
This resource is designed to provide Five Good Friends workers with current information about the COVID-19 vaccine and rollout.
For information on how Five Good Friends are protecting workers Members and other partners, as well as manging confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19, please check our Safe Work Practices.
The Australian Government aims to have as many people as possible vaccinated against COVID-19 in 2021. The Therapeutic Goods Administration's (TGA) assessment process is designed to ensure that all approved COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective before they are made available in Australia.
If you want to know more about how COVID-19 vaccines are tested and approved, the Department of Health has information and a video available on their website. The Older Persons Advocacy Network also recently hosted a webinar which provided excellent information on the COVID-19 vaccine: COVID-19 Vaccine - What You Need To Know.
You can find trusted and reliable information and resources, including translated information, on the Department of Health's COVID-19 vaccines website. You can also subscribe to receive the COVID-19 Vaccines Updates. The Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy has a Frequently Asked Questions on their website regarding allergy, immunodeficiency, autoimmunity and COVID-19 vaccination.
When will the vaccination be available?
The Government's vaccine roll-out roadmap outlines the staged roll-out of the vaccine to priority groups which commenced in March 2021.
For Five Good Friends Members and Helpers, our understanding is that the following phase applies:
- Phase 1B - home care aged care and disability Members and staff
COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility Checker - Use the COVID-19 vaccine eligibility checker to find out when you can receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
COVID-19 vaccination is voluntary, and strongly encouraged
COVID-19 vaccines will be free and voluntary for everyone living in Australia. While the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccination, at this time the AHPPC has not recommended mandating COVID-19 for the aged care workforce. The AHPPC is the key decision making committee for health emergencies and is comprised of all state and territory Chief Health Officers and chaired by the Australian Chief Medical Officer. The AHPPC will continue to monitor the situation and provide its advice accordingly. We are following this advice.
Five Good Friends preparation
While we take advice from the Department of Health and their supporting Committees such as the AHPPC, we are working to ready our services and prepare for the arrival of vaccinations. This includes:
- Adding a verification to our Helper matching system so we can vet and identify Helpers (and Five Good Friends team members) who have been vaccinated. Once you have obtained your vaccination certificate please email to email@example.com.
- Supporting Members who elect only to be matched with Helpers who have been vaccinated.
- Sharing the advice of the AHPPC with all Helpers and Five Good Friends team members strongly encouraging vaccination.
- Attending peak body and industry advice forums to ensure our Quality Outcomes team and business remain up-to-date.
- Reviewing our COVID-19 Safe Work Practices and Standard Operating Procedure to reflect scenarios as they relate to vaccination.