Mental Health Awareness Month - Mental Health Matters
National Mental Health Month (October 2020) is an initiative of the Mental Health Foundation Australia (MHFA) to advocate for and raise awareness of Australian mental health. It is an important time where the Australian community comes together to raise awareness that #MentalHealthMatters.
The theme for this year’s National Mental Health Month Awareness Campaign is Mental Health Matters. This theme highlights the gravity of the topic of mental health, and how important it is to address in the Australian community.
What is Mental Health?
According to the World Health Organization, mental health is “a state of well-being in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.”
How can I learn more about supporting my Member's with their Mental Health needs?
Mental Health First Aid
Just as it is common for commuity carers to undertake First Aid and CPR training it is also encouraged to complete a Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Course.
MHFA teaches Helpers how to assist people who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis, until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves. Visit Mental Health First Aid Australia's website for more information.
Courses are delivered by Accredited Mental Health First Aid Instructors. There is a cost to complete the course however as an Independant Contractor you can claim this as a tax deduction. The courses are usually held over several days or there are options to complete elements online. You can find a course near you here.
How can I take care of my own mental health and wellbeing?
Caring for people is a rewarding job however at times it can be stressful and emotional. Developing self awareness and setting up self care strategies can protect against burnout and help maintain a healthy balance in your own life. Self-care is a range of skills, information and attitudes that you can use to protect and maintain your emotional, psychological and physical health and well-being.
- Learn about Tuning into yourself and others here. This is an initiative from WayAhead for Mental Health Awareness Month
- Learn about Dear Mind - Remember to take time for you here, a government initiative. They have some great strategies for building mental wellbeing and resistance .
- Make a Mental Health Promise to look after your wellbeing on the Mental Health Australia Promise Wall.
Support is available
- Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636
- MensLine Australia -1300 789 978
- Lifeline - 13 11 14
- Five Good Friends also extends it's Employee Assistance Program to Helpers AcessEAP - you can access several external free counselling sessions with a professional. Learn more [here](provide external, qualified counselling support).