Coronavirus (Covid 19) - Booster Dose Mandate for Helpers in NSW 4.3.22
Five Good Friends strongly encourage and supports vaccination. Our strong belief is that vaccination is the most important thing we can do to keep our community safe, including our Helpers and Members.
Recent changes announced: COVID-19 vaccination booster required for NSW Helpers
Following on from the requirements for COVID-19 vaccination in October and November 2021, the Public Health Order has been updated by the NSW Government to include third dose requirements. The new direction now makes it mandatory for in-home and community aged care and disability support workers to receive 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. For more information on the direction visit the NSW Department of Health website.
When is this required by?
You are eligible for your booster dose 3 months from the date of your second dose. All in-home and community aged care workers must have 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine unless the person has received 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and it is not after the later of the following:
- 12 April 2022 or
- six weeks from the due date of the persons third dose (due date is 13 weeks after the persons second dose).
As with the authorised exemptions to first and second doses, exemptions to a third dose (booster) for workers are limited to:
- a medical exemption of which the worker provides proof on request
- a temporary exemption of which the worker provides proof on request
- a worker declared an exempt person by the Minister if they are satisfied it is necessary to protect the health and well-being of persons.
Helpers must provide evidence of their third vaccination to Five Good Friends by 12th April 2022, or if not yet eligible for the third vaccination then evidence of booking within 6 weeks of the due date.
What do I need to do?
Ensure you are aware of when you are eligible to receive your booster dose: Please make a booking to receive this dose within the 6 weeks of becoming eligible. Send evidence of booking to email@example.com
If you have had your booster dose: Please provide evidence of this to Five Good Friends immediately by emailing a copy of your immunisation record to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can get your immunisation and vaccination history statement using either:
c. If you don't have a Medicare account, there are alternatives for obtaining your record. Instructions are available here.
- If you have a booking for a booster vaccination: Please email us a copy of the booking to email@example.com.
What happens if I don't receive the booster dose in the required time?
We want to ensure all Helpers continue the important work that they do and that our Members continue receiving their services uninterrupted. Under this direction, if you do not receive your booster dose by the required time, we are required to remove you from all visits until you provide this information.
Please help us and your Members by ensuring you understand these requirements and take the appropriate action. If you are eligible for a booster dose today and have not received it, the best thing you can do is make a booking immediately.
How to make a vaccination appointment
In-home and community aged care workers can book a priority appointment now through the COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Finder at:
- Primary care clinics – including GP clinics, pharmacies, Commonwealth Vaccination Clinics (GP respiratory clinic), or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Controlled Health Services. Aged and disability workers are prioritised to receive a booking within 7 days of their request for an appointment.
- State and Territory vaccination clinics.
- All aged care workers can also call the dedicated COVID-19 Helpline on 1800 020 080 (select option 4) for any questions about vaccination and for assistance on how to book an appointment.
- Information about vaccination booking is available online here.
If you are choosing not to get the booster vaccination, please advise us as soon as possible so we can organise support for your Members.
We are here to help you
If you have any questions, please call the Helper Hotline on 07 3532 0796.
We are grateful for the important work you are doing at such a critical time. We have worked through many challenges throughout the pandemic and we remain committed to supporting you and all of our Members through this change.