Claiming Travel Expenses as a Tax Deduction

Claiming Travel Expenses as a Tax Deduction

As a Helper working in the community you will likely regularly use your car for travelling to and from visits and for providing driving assistance to Members. The good news is you may be able to claim some of your work travel and vehicle expenses as a tax deduction!

The motor vehicle expenses you can claim and how you calculate them depend on:

  • Your business structure (sole trader, company, partnership or trust)
  • Whether you have a car or other vehicle. Visit the ATO website for more information on determining your type of vehicle .
  • How the vehicle is used - business or private use.

Motor vehicle expenses you may be able to claim include:

  • Fuel and oil
  • Repairs and servicing
  • Interest on a motor vehicle loan
  • Lease payments
  • Insurance
  • Registration
  • Depreciation (decline in value).

Download the ATO App to help you keep track of your work related travel expenses and other deductions.

Sole Trader or Partnership ABN

As a contractor, if you operate your business as a sole trader or partnership (when at least one partner is an individual) you can claim a deduction for the business use of a motor vehicle you own or lease.

If you use the vehicle for both private and business purposes, you must exclude any private use of the vehicle from your claim.

When you work out your deduction, you can use one of two methods

Company or Trust ABN

If you operate your business as a company or trust you can generally claim expenses for a motor vehicle owned or leased by your company or trust, as long as the expenses are incurred as part of the everyday running of your business - refer to the ATO website for information on claiming travel expenses .

Please contact the ATO or consult with your Accountant or Financial Advisor for advice relating to your specific circumstances